Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Works for Me: baby beds


I'm new at this - and excited to be doing it! I've got lots of ideas! (well, today at least!) I'll start with my favorite baby advice!

Some of the best advice I got when pregnant with my first baby was not parenting advice! (I just love practical advice, don't you?) I have never forgotten the sweet lady who recommended this to me, and I highly recommend it!

You know how baby always spits up, or the diaper leaks or some kind of mess always occurs in the crib? Of course, it's always in the middle of the night when you are trying to wake up, balance the baby in one arm and change the sheets with the other! And of course, you have to take off the mobile and the crib bumper and any other fun & stimulating toy that is attached. Of course, they make these really neat things that you can tie across the bed, but that only works until they baby can't move! Here's my Works for Me! (Well, it worked for me, since I have big kids now!)

Layer the crib mattress as such: crib liner, sheet, crib liner, sheet. Then when you need to change the sheet, you just pull off the top layer and voila! You have a clean bed!

11 comments:

Bethany said...

Hehe. That's prolly better than the way I used to solve that problem. I'd always throw a clean blanket over the top and just wash both the next day....

Hrmmm...gotta remember that one. Got a baby due here in the fall.

Tami@ourhouse said...

Love your idea- I've spent maaany nights changing sheets in the dark while holding messy baby so he/she won't wake someone else up or toddle into another room in the dark... I'll try this for sure.
-Tami

Mama Duck said...

I still do that with the toddler bed (aka mattress on the floor). I love those ultimate crib sheets too, I put one of those over top of everything.

Shalee said...

Now that is too stinking smart! I could have used that oh 10 years ago. Oh well, maybe the others can save themselves some time and energy with that fabulous tip!

Pam said...

So glad you shared this. I was going to use it last week and give you the credit. Welcome to the WFMW crew, girlie!

Unknown said...

My ds wet his crib sheets ALL the time as a newborn. This would have been great.

Stephanie said...

That's a great idea ... gotta love wrestling with the crib mattress at night! :)

Katherine@Raising Five said...

You are just so smart! I do like the tie-across the bed things, but that only catches drips from one end. Thanks for this great piece of advice!

Carol said...

Now, how come I didn't get good tips like this when mine were little? Reckon it works for big kids, too? Maybe we could go mattress pad, sheet, mattress pad, sheet and when I tell them to change their beds, they just strip off the top layers, change the flat sheet and voila!

You know...that's not a bad idea, actually.

Carol said...

How come I didn't get great tips like this when mine were little?

Y'know, I think this might still work for them, though. Especially now that they're responsible for changing their own beds. Mattress pad, sheet, mattress, pad, sheet. Hmmm...Might be good!

Unknown said...

Sounds like that gal was either a very practical woman or a ped's nurse!!
Pam