Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Squiggle Squaggle!

We've been having a bit of a problem about our house. My three darling children are trying to get each other in trouble! Each of them keep blaming things on another. They love to exagerate. They've even been making things up to stir up trouble! Yesterday, I decided it was time to put an end to this. Here is what prompted that decision...

After school, I was attempting to take a minute to myself. They were playing nicely in the family room (which is just off from my bedroom). Candy Man enters in exasperated and announces that Pretty Princess has written on herself (which is quite common, I might add). Game Master busts in yelling that Candy Man was the one who wrote on her! Of course Pretty Princess is not coming to discuss it at all...

Here is Candy Man's side of the story: "I had the pen in my hand and I walked up to her to write on her (does he not realize that he's telling on himself at this point??) and she squiggle squaggled!" I said, "so you wrote on her?" He said, "NO! She squiggle squaggled!"

Here is Game Master's side of the story: "Mom! He did it! I was playing Game Cube and saw him write on her! (Okay, so he has eyes that can watch the TV and his brother??)" Note: At this point Princess is in my arms terrified that someone is certainly in trouble and hoping it won't be her. I have examined her and she has a small pen mark on her leg. And so I ask Game Master, "where did he write on her?" He replies, "On her arm..... well... I didn't see where he wrote on her, but he did!!"

It took a little while for them to realize how badly they were hurting each other's feelings by telling "big ones" to me. They were once again reminded that "Mommy knows everything" and they can't put anything past me! I also spent several moments telling each one how much I loved them and all the little things about them that make me laugh (and cry!). I told them that I wouldn't love them any more or any less because of something their brother or sister did.

They were once again assured that our family is a safe place to be. May all days be like that.

And what is a squiggle squaggle anyway?!?

2 comments:

Pam said...

You're such a great mom, my friend. When you figure out what "squiggle squaggle" is, let me know : )

Carol said...

Kids. What in the world would we do without them? I mean, how else would we have these wee little conflicts to mediate? And whose bruised little feelings would we soothe? And who would remind us that we do the same sorts of things, but adult-sized?

Ah yes. Y'gotta love those squiggle-squagglin' kids!