Thursday, March 09, 2006

My Fairy Tale

It was 10 years ago today...

I felt as beautiful as I'd ever felt, all dressed up in white with jewel ornaments all over. I wore a crown of diamonds (we can pretend they were real...) as if I was a queen! Everyone around me rushed in a flourish - all for me! This was my day! The day I'd dreamed of for so long! A beautiful day - the heavens so blue, the fields of emerald, the earth was dressed up for me too!

And then it was time. Time to present myself to my king! I went to him, unaware of anyone else around. And I promised my life to him, my love and my forever. And he promised his undying devotion to me.... It was breath-taking!

SCREEEEEECH! Stop the presses! Give me a BREAK! What was I thinking!??? I must have been out of my mind! Let's get real...

During the week after we were married, I remember looking across the table at him and thinking, "Who is that man? My husband!? I don't even know him!" (In actuallity, we had known each other for 7 years!) I suddenly felt like we were strangers!

I have to say that the last ten years have NOT been anything like I thought they would be! Where is the romance? The passion? The enchantment? The FAIRY TALE!!?? This is what I thought I was getting!! Instead, I got bills, laundry (in the floor, I might add!), dirty dishes, trash overflowing, and a little later... dirty diapers (lots of them!), and snotty noses. I got days without talking, nights in bed alone, tearful moments of frustration.

But I also got... a friend - he's been there for me when others weren't. He's had so many moments of wisdom - giving me prudent advise in just the right way. I got a pal - someone to play games with, watch TV with, just be myself around. I got a lover - someone to enjoy as God planned (and when I had the energy!). I got a partner - in life, in financial matters, in parenting, in many other things. I got a companion - someone to spend time with, to go places with. And I got a soul mate - I am so thankful for him being a Christian, that he understands my struggles and joys as a child of faith.

So, even though marriage is not at all what I thought it would be... I think it has been good for me! We are opposites, but through the struggles, I think we improve each other! He completes me.

I love you, honey! Happy 10th wedding anniversary! May the next 10 be greater than the last, but never so comfortable that we aren't becoming better at it!

2 comments:

Pam said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! Hope you have something special planned. He better have something special planned, hadn't he?

Jennifer said...

That is so precious. I have had the honor of witnessing some of those years. I have to print this out and save it forever. Congratulations to you two! God has already used you and your marriage in big ways and I know will continue to do so.